A large, heavily built, swift-running bird, found in open country in the Old World. The males of most bustards have a spectacular courtship display.
- Family Otididae: several genera and species, including the great bustard (Otis tarda), which is the heaviest flying land bird
More example sentences
- Apart from the globally-extinct great auk, the bustard is the only bird known to have bred in Britain that hasn't done so in recent times.
- Certain large-bodied flying birds, such as bustards, pelicans, and vultures, pneumatize virtually the entire skeleton, out to the tips of the wings.
- This kind of hunting, in which the falcons are trained to attack much larger birds, is one reason bustards are threatened throughout much of their range.
Definition of bustard in:
- The US English dictionary