noun (plural busy Lizzies)British
- An East African plant with abundant red, pink, or white flowers. It is widely grown as a houseplant, and its many hybrids are grown as bedding plants.
More example sentences
- Impatiens walleriana, family Balsaminaceae
- My busy Lizzies are grown from seed rather than bought in off the shelf but, unfortunately, they never reach the seeding stage.
- In spite of impatiens' odd common names - like busy Lizzie, touch-me-not, and snapweed - their meteoric rise to fame isn't surprising.
- Impatiens, better known as busy Lizzies, have become one of the most popular container plants.