noun[mass noun] Chemistry
A flammable hydrocarbon gas of the alkane series, present in petroleum and natural gas. It is used in bottled form as a fuel. See also isobutane.
- Chemical formula: CH3CH2CH2CH3
More example sentences
- The remaining butane and methane are recycled and reused to fuel the process.
- Sudden sniffing death is particularly associated with abuse of butane, propane and chemicals in aerosols.
- He filmed them apparently putting butane gas into a bottle and setting fire to it.
Definition of butane in:
- The US English dictionary