Having an appearance or other qualities of a type traditionally seen as masculine: a butch woman in a baseball cap butch men and feisty women there might be some butch firefighters on their way over!
More example sentences
- The good news, what there is of it, is that the few remaining teeth that I do have are apparently good teeth, strong teeth, firm, manly, positively butch teeth.
- Number one: while I personally quite like butch women, it's not a taste that's shared by every woman in the world - or even most of them.
- In the restlessly nurturing mind's eye of my mother, there resides a vastly better lighted and less deliberately butch apartment that is organized to be shared with a member of the opposite sex.
A lesbian whose appearance and behaviour are seen as traditionally masculine. Compare with femme
- Also masculine females and feminine males - including butches and gay males considered to be ‘effeminate.’
- My friends are largely femmes who date only butches - so many of us have dated or at least slept with the same ones.
- Nearly all of those women who do like butches are lesbians.
- Example sentences
- Connelly decides to seek out emotional truth in her role, and leaves the hysterics and butchy resolve to lesser scream queens.
- Most of my female lovers have been pretty butchy.
- I'm not a butchy looking dyke.
1940s: perhaps an abbreviation of butcher.
Words that rhyme with butchputsch
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: butch
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.