noun (plural buteos)Ornithology , chiefly US
- A bird of prey of a group distinguished by broad wings that are used for soaring.
More example sentences
- Buteo and related genera, family Accipitridae; many species, including the buzzards and the American red-tailed and Harris' hawks
- It's easy this time of year to forget that the skies belong to birds other than buteos, accipiters, and their ilk.
- For example, most buteos eat primarily small mammals and most accipiters prey on birds.
- Even better, we enjoyed long side-by-side views of the buteo next to a Northern Harrier, by far the most common raptor at Croton Point.
from Latin buteo 'buzzard, hawk'.
More definitions of buteoDefinition of buteo in:
- The US English dictionary