A Eurasian waterside plant of the daisy family, the rounded flower heads of which are produced before the leaves. The large, soft leaves were formerly used to wrap butter, and extracts are used medicinally as an anticonvulsant.
- Genus Petasites, family Compositae: several species, in particular the common P. hybridus
More example sentences
- Other than that, we ate wild mountain burdocks, butterburs, bracken, flowering ferns and the sesame seeds that were probably carried to the camp on the tails of the horses and now grew there wild.
- The efficacy and tolerability of a butterbur root extract (Petadolex [R]) for the treatment of asthma was analyzed in a prospective, nonrandomized, open trial.
- Various parts of the butterbur plant have been used for centuries to treat bronchial asthma and whooping cough, and in folk medicine the leaves of the plant were used as a mucus-reducing cough remedy.
Definition of butterbur in:
- The US English dictionary