1The slightly sour liquid left after butter has been churned, used in baking or consumed as a drink.
- I'm no pastry chef, but I tweaked and tasted, from all-purpose to cake flour, buttermilk to sour cream, baking powder to soda, recipe to recipe.
- Ingredients that are suitable for supplying acidity to marinades: wine, vinegar, soy sauce, citrus juice, buttermilk, or yogurt.
- Strains are available for a range of desired properties; for instance, there are designated classes of cultures for use in cheese starter cultures, yogurt, milk, buttermilk and sour cream.
1.1A pale yellow colour like that of buttermilk.
- Her mother and father walked in from different doors on either side of their buttermilk yellow kitchen.
- Not at all; paprika and buttermilk are the two gorgeous colours used to give the Clubhouse at Oldgrange a makeover recently!
- The kitchen units are painted a pleasing buttermilk colour, with an almost amber rich wooden work surface.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: butter|milk
Definition of buttermilk in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.