Definition of butternut in English:
1A North American walnut tree which is cultivated as an ornamental and also for its quality timber.
- Juglans cinerea, family Juglandaceae
- These include oaks, hickories, buckeyes, chestnuts, butternuts, walnuts and hazels.
- The fungus Sirococcus clavigignenti-juglandacearum has ravaged butternut, or white walnut, trees.
- Although not the largest of its kind in the U.S., the butternut is sizable at about 80 feet tall with a 16-foot circumference.
1.1The edible oily nut of the butternut.
- The butternut or American white walnut, J. cinerea, also grows in the eastern states, and also has a troublesome hard shell.
- The butternuts that give the tree its name are also good for cooking and eating, Arch, the Cherokee artist, says.
- You get a similarly hearty feel from a butternut risotto or a butternut take on a potato gratin.
Definition of butternut in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.