Definition of butternut in English:
1A North American walnut tree which is cultivated as an ornamental and also for its quality timber.
- Juglans cinerea, family Juglandaceae
- These include oaks, hickories, buckeyes, chestnuts, butternuts, walnuts and hazels.
- The fungus Sirococcus clavigignenti-juglandacearum has ravaged butternut, or white walnut, trees.
- Although not the largest of its kind in the U.S., the butternut is sizable at about 80 feet tall with a 16-foot circumference.
1.1The edible oily nut of the butternut.
- The butternut or American white walnut, J. cinerea, also grows in the eastern states, and also has a troublesome hard shell.
- The butternuts that give the tree its name are also good for cooking and eating, Arch, the Cherokee artist, says.
- You get a similarly hearty feel from a butternut risotto or a butternut take on a potato gratin.
Definition of butternut in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan