A small quail-like Old World bird related to the rails, with only three toes. Also called hemipode.
- Family Turnicidae and genus Turnix: several species, including the widespread barred button-quail (T. suscitator) of Asia (also called bustard quail)
More example sentences
- In fact, black-breasted button-quails seldom fly: if disturbed they freeze on the spot or run away.
- Guide Mike West said button-quails were rarely seen and it might be that they had been in the area but were wrongly identified as true quails.
- Many people keep button quails in the bottom of their aviary, for variety as well as to help clean up spilled seed.
Definition of button-quail in:
- The US English dictionary