Definition of buttonhook in English:
1A small hook with a long handle for fastening tight buttons (often formerly on buttoned boots).
- A combination buttonhook and zipper puller having a tapered elongated portion can be inserted in buttonholes of different sizes to grasp buttons of different sizes for buttoning.
- Victorian boots often had lots of loops and buttons to fasten, and this buttonhook helped with that.
- Buttonhooks are sticks with a wire loop at the end, and they come in many styles and sizes.
2 American Football A play in which a pass receiver runs straight downfield and then doubles back sharply towards the line of scrimmage.
- This helps make #2's buttonhook all the more effective.
- For a buttonhook to be effective, the receiver must convince the defensive back covering him that he is going to continue his pattern downfield.
Words that rhyme with buttonhookfishhook • skyhook
Definition of buttonhook in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan