Definition of buttonhook in English:
1A small hook with a long handle for fastening tight buttons (often formerly on buttoned boots).
- A combination buttonhook and zipper puller having a tapered elongated portion can be inserted in buttonholes of different sizes to grasp buttons of different sizes for buttoning.
- Victorian boots often had lots of loops and buttons to fasten, and this buttonhook helped with that.
- Buttonhooks are sticks with a wire loop at the end, and they come in many styles and sizes.
2 American Football A play in which a pass receiver runs straight downfield and then doubles back sharply towards the line of scrimmage.
- This helps make #2's buttonhook all the more effective.
- For a buttonhook to be effective, the receiver must convince the defensive back covering him that he is going to continue his pattern downfield.
Definition of buttonhook in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.