- A surface-dwelling colonial marine coelenterate of the Atlantic and Mediterranean. It has a disc-like float bearing a sail that is used to catch the wind.
More example sentences
- Velella velella, suborder Chondrophora, order Hydroida
- The by-the-wind sailor is actually a whole colony of tiny jellyfish-like creatures called polyps.
- However, if the beach is covered with by-the-wind sailors, this could be a signal to look for glass floats.
- The by-the-wind sailor is a colonial hydroid that has adapted to life on the ocean wave.