- A lung disease caused by prolonged inhalation of textile fibre dust.More example sentences
- This drop - sometimes accompanied by symptoms of byssinosis - is greatest on Monday (or the 1st day back to work after a break), and may disappear later in the work week.
- Endotoxin - already proven to be strongly associated with byssinosis among workers exposed to cotton dust - was also present in the Indian jute mill studied.
- One epidemiologic study found that cotton mill workers with byssinosis had increased nonspecific airway hyperresponsiveness compared with coworkers without byssinosis in the same mill.
late 19th century: from Latin byssinus 'made of byssus' (from Greek bussinos) + -osis.
More definitions of byssinosisDefinition of byssinosis in:
- The US English dictionary