- A mineral present in many basic igneous rocks, consisting of a calcic plagioclase feldspar.More example sentences
- They range from bytownite - labradorite in basalts and gabbros, andesine - oligoclase in diorites and andesites to albite in granites and rhyolites.
- The groundmass consists mainly of bytownite with large grains of diopside and of colourless olivine, and small octahedrons of magnetite.
- The highly soluble and aluminous bytownite favored the formation of allophane.
mid 19th century: from Bytown, the former name of Ottawa, Canada, + -ite1.
More definitions of bytowniteDefinition of bytownite in:
- The US English dictionary