Definition of cabbage in English:
1A cultivated plant eaten as a vegetable, having thick green or purple leaves surrounding a spherical heart or head of young leaves.
- Brassica oleracea, family Cruciferae (or Brassicaceae; the cabbage family). As well as the brassicas, the members of this family (known as crucifers) include the mustards and cresses together with many ornamentals (candytuft, alyssum, stocks, nasturtiums, wallflowers)
- In the school's garden are giant tufts of spinach, green peppers and cabbages planted according to eco-friendly and sustainable permaculture principles.
- Particularly good trap crops include: green lettuce, cabbage, calendula, marigolds, comfrey leaves, zinnias and beans.
- Other fields and cottage gardens grow grapevines on overhead trellises, the soil beneath the arches being densely planted with cabbages and other vegetables.
1.1 [mass noun] The leaves of cabbage, eaten as a vegetable: boiled cabbage
More example sentences
- The vegetables, a mixture of bok choy, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower and carrots, were fresh and delicious.
- In the meantime it may help to avoid gas producing foods, including beans, broccoli, cabbage, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, eggplant, radishes and onions.
- Add the onion, paprika, bay leaves, cabbage, carrot and potatoes.
2 informal A person who leads a dull or inactive life: the image of the housewife as a cabbage is prevalent
More example sentences
- Staying at home doesn't mean you should become a cabbage.
- She longs to resume a career, ‘I do not want to become a cabbage,’ she says.
- You just become a cabbage; bored to tears watching telly, with every day the same.
- Example sentences
- The original wild plant, known as wild or sea cabbage, still grows in some coastal areas of Europe, is occasionally gathered and eaten, and has a cabbagy flavour.
- The first time I had a Vietnamese fresh roll, it ruined the lugubrious, cabbagy egg roll for me forever.
- Down an alley-way comes the breeze, bringing gusts of foetid cabbagy air from the gratings over college kitchens along with its weight of moist droplets and spray.
Definition of cabbage in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia