1A transport system, typically one travelling up and down a mountain, in which cabins are suspended on a continuous moving cable driven by a motor at one end of the route.
- He was the first on site, so later, when the tourists arrived in their bus, they were lucky enough to take the first cable car up the mountain.
- It was hot and after wandering around we took the cable car up the mountain for marvellous views and I climbed to the top for even better views.
- After descending Table Mountain in the revolving cable car, we then drove to nearby Signal Hill.
1.1A cabin on a cable-car system.
- It's that feeling you get when you climb out of a cable car at the top of a mountain, click into your bindings and point yourself downhill.
- This combined with altitude sickness caused to me to vomit in the cable car, right at the top of the mountain as we were going down.
2A carriage on a cable railway.
- Failing to find any gin joints or speakeasies but finally getting on the right track, I hopped on the cable car at Market & Powell and rode to the end of the line: Fisherman's Wharf.
- Go and have your obligatory seafood chowder (in a sourdough bread bowl, of course), but jump on a cable car for a more scenic view of San Francisco's neighborhoods.
- They got onto the cable car that went to Taylor & Bay and then walked from there to Fisherman's Warf.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: cable car
Definition of cable car in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.