Definition of caboclo in English:
noun (plural caboclos)
1(In Brazil) an American Indian.
- Starting in Manicore, they explored the neighboring areas in a rented speedboat, visiting riverbank settlements and showing photos of Little Fellow to the caboclos there, asking hundreds of people if they had ever seen any such monkey.
- The study's intent is to reveal how the largely subsistence economies of the people of the river's mouth, the caboclos, illustrate a sustainable alternative to the rapacious nature of Amazonian development today.
- When he wishes to indicate people of American Indian physical type in the Reconcavo, he generally says caboclo.
1.1A Brazilian of mixed white and Indian or Indian and black ancestry.
- And he only partially addresses the broader economic pressures of poverty that caboclos face as the overall Brazilian economy continues along its uncertain path.
- Jeanette was moved by the grace and dignity of the Brazilian caboclos who live along the river.
- This paper analyzes the festival from an anthropological perspective, suggesting its interpretation as a contemporary cultural movement that, while enhancing regional indigenous roots, expresses a positive statement of a Brazilian ‘caboclo,’ or mestizo, cultural identity.
Brazilian Portuguese, perhaps from Tupi Kaa-boc 'person having copper-coloured skin'.
Definition of caboclo in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.