Definition of cacique in English:
1(In Latin America or the Spanish-speaking Caribbean) a native chief.
- They lived under nine independent caciques or chiefs, and possessed a simple religion devoid of rites and ceremonies, but with a belief in a supreme being, and the immortality of the soul.
- The Guarani caciques exchanged women to formalize their alliance with the Spanish against the hostile peoples of the Chaco.
- She is traditionally represented with two other figures, that of a black henchman, el Negro Felipe, and of an Indian cacique, Guaicapuro.
1.1(In Spain or Latin America) a local political boss.
- Tlatoani (head honcho), cacique, and caudillo - these words glisten on the pages of the derisive gubernatorial lexicon.
- Many such communities are still ruled by caciques (local strongmen) according to ‘uses and customs,’ which may fly in the face of such constitutional rights as religious freedom.
- It was committed to class struggle in a country that had scarcely had a bourgeois revolution, and to political action in spite of the manipulation of elections by local landowners or caciques.
2A gregarious tropical American bird that has black plumage with patches of red or yellow.
- Genus Cacicus, family Icteridae: several species
- Near the Panama Canal, explore Pipeline Road, which passes through the rainforest of the Soberania National Park and is home to 380 species including trogons, caciques, woodpeckers, and many more.
- Well over 100 notable species can be easily spotted in the Carara Reserve, including the great tinamou, red-lored parrot, crimson-fronted parakeet and scarlet-rumped cacique.
- They included four oropendolas and four caciques in a molecular study of blackbird relationships using cytochrome-b sequence data.
Words that rhyme with caciqueantique, batik, beak, bespeak, bezique, bleak, boutique, caïque, cheek, chic, clique, creak, creek, critique, Dominique, eke, freak, geek, Greek, hide-and-seek, keek, Lalique, leak, leek, Martinique, meek, midweek, Mozambique, Mustique, mystique, oblique, opéra comique, ortanique, peak, Peake, peek, physique, pique, pratique, reek, seek, shriek, Sikh, sleek, sneak, speak, Speke, squeak, streak, teak, technique, tongue-in-cheek, tweak, unique, veronique, weak, week, wreak
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan