1A small restaurant selling light meals and drinks.
- Urban dwellers may eat a light meal at a café or restaurant in the evening.
- Small restaurants, cafes selling coffee and tea, as well as stalls selling sandwiches and fruit juice are in abundance, spread all over the city.
- However, be prepared to step up a gear around the huge variety of bars, restaurants and cafes serving delicious meals at less than a fiver-a-head on the Avineda del Generalrismo.
2North American A bar or nightclub.
- We'd go to nightclubs and cafés, hear jazz bands play or go to open-air symphonies.
- Like it or not, bars, pubs and cafés are our public squares, where people meet to participate in the social life of the city.
- I hung out in neighborhoods, and went to cafes at night.
Early 19th century: from French café 'coffee or coffee house'.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.