- A semiaquatic reptile similar to the alligator but with a heavily armoured belly, native to tropical America.
More example sentences
- Caiman and other genera, family Alligatoridae: three species
- A crocodilian is any member of an order of reptiles that includes crocodiles, alligators, caimans, gavials, and related extinct forms.
- The zoo here is now playing host to a pair each of seamy crocodiles, alligators and caimans, giving the city dwellers a glimpse of some rare species.
- The continental record in South America, where caimans spent much of their history, is sporadic.
late 16th century: from Spanish caimán, Portuguese caimão, from Carib acayuman.
More definitions of caimanDefinition of caiman in:
- The US English dictionary