Definition of caique in English:
1A light rowing boat used on the Bosporus.
- The lighter service was handled, at least in part, by caiques and other mostly locally owned small boats whose socio-economic leverage, unlike that of the elite property owners on the sea front, was not great.
- Would you like to experience Istanbul from a caique?
- We sent up our luggage and servants by a caique, a long, narrow, flat-bottomed boat, rowed by sculls.
2A small eastern Mediterranean sailing ship.
- Formerly known as caiques, gulets are beautiful, broad-beamed, hand-built wooden sailing boats, but unfortunately these days the sails are strictly for show.
- Typically, 12 to 20 rounds were needed to destroy a caique or schooner.
- In fact only a small convoy of caiques, bearing a single battalion of mountain troops, was headed for Maleme, not Canea.
Definition of caique in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India