Definition of caique in English:
1A light rowing boat used on the Bosporus.
- The lighter service was handled, at least in part, by caiques and other mostly locally owned small boats whose socio-economic leverage, unlike that of the elite property owners on the sea front, was not great.
- Would you like to experience Istanbul from a caique?
- We sent up our luggage and servants by a caique, a long, narrow, flat-bottomed boat, rowed by sculls.
2A small eastern Mediterranean sailing ship.
- Formerly known as caiques, gulets are beautiful, broad-beamed, hand-built wooden sailing boats, but unfortunately these days the sails are strictly for show.
- Typically, 12 to 20 rounds were needed to destroy a caique or schooner.
- In fact only a small convoy of caiques, bearing a single battalion of mountain troops, was headed for Maleme, not Canea.
Definition of caique in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.