(also calamander wood)
- another term for coromandel.More example sentences
- It can be striped with black or with shades of brown; these varieties are called calamander wood or variegated ebony.
- Next he took us on an interesting tour of the dining room which was dominated by a huge calamander dining table with a magnificent finish and twelve arm chairs.
- The body of the bowl is fashioned of decarbonized iron, inlaid with silver and gold and displayed on a calamander wood base.
early 19th century: from Sinhalese kaḷu-madīriya, perhaps from Coromandel ebony (see coromandel), changed by association with Sinhalese kaḷu 'black'.
More definitions of calamanderDefinition of calamander in:
- The US English dictionary