(also calamares /ˌkaləˈmɑːreɪz/)
- Squid served as food.More example sentences
- The food is an exotic mix of tapas and dim sum, so you eat chorizo and calamari one minute, spring rolls and satay the next.
- Nico's is really only a notch up from cheap and cheerful, but does deliver some great Italian staple dishes such as minestrone, calamari and spaghetti Bolognese.
- We thanked him again, and then we proceeded to order an appetizer of fried calamari, a Caesar salad that we could split and our meals.
Italian, plural of calamaro, from medieval Latin calamarium 'pen case', from Greek kalamos 'pen' (with reference to the squid's long tapering internal shell and its ink). The variant calamares is Spanish.
More definitions of calamariDefinition of calamari in:
- The US English dictionary