noun (plural same)
A swamp plant with jointed stems that belonged to an extinct group related to the horsetails, growing to a height of 18 m (60 ft).
- Calamites and other genera, family Calamitaceae, class Sphenopsida
More example sentences
- The latter group comprises the archaeocalamites, calamites, and horsetails.
- Coal forests of giant lycopods, calamites, pteridophytes and ferns cover the tropical landmasses.
- The old tropical coal swamps (with their giant lycopods, calamites, and cordaitales) declined and disappeared with the drier and cooler climate, surviving only in China and in high latitudes of Pangaea.
modern Latin, from calamus.
More definitions of calamitesDefinition of calamites in:
- The US English dictionary