(also calamondin orange)
A small hybrid citrus plant which bears fragrant white flowers followed by small orange-yellow fruit, native to the Philippines and grown as a houseplant.
- × Citrofortunella microcarpa (formerly Citrus mitis), family Rutaceae
More example sentences
- The miniature calamondin ‘orange’ grown as a decorative house plant is sometimes considered to be a mandarin × kumquat hybrid, and sometimes assigned to a species of its own.
- Examples of acidic varieties include ‘Improved Meyer’ and ‘Ponderosa’ lemons, calamondins, and kumquats.
- Open the bottle, and one smells a mixed but light scent of different kinds of fruit including orange, citrus and calamondin orange.
early 20th century: from Tagalog kalamunding.
Definition of calamondin in:
- The US English dictionary