A tropical American plant which typically has variegated leaves, grown as a greenhouse or indoor plant.
- Genus Calathea, family Marantaceae: many species, including the zebra plant
More example sentences
- The maranta and calathea are other such plants.
- Good quality calatheas can be produced but careful attention must be given to the production environment.
- Many calatheas have a red or purple underside to their leaves, which adds subterfuge to their pest resistance.
modern Latin, from Greek kalathos 'basket'.
Definition of calathea in:
- The US English dictionary