Definition of calcareous in English:
1Containing calcium carbonate; chalky: calcareous soils the bottom mud becomes calcareous
More example sentences
- Fritted iron can be used on acid soils, but it isn't suitable for use on alkaline or calcareous soils (with calcium carbonate).
- Because of their ability to secrete calcium carbonate, calcareous red algae have a better Phanerozoic fossil record than many other groups of algal protists.
- The Ph conditions should be ideally calcareous or neutral.
1.1 Ecology (Of vegetation) occurring on chalk or limestone.
- The unit consists of limestone or calcareous mudstone and was deposited in a fully marine environment.
- The Liard Formation is a variably thick succession of calcareous sandstone and arenaceous limestone that was deposited within and adjacent to the Peace River embayment in the Middle Triassic.
- The Blubber Point Member, characterized by impure limestone and calcareous sandstone with minor shale, represents shallow, inner carbonate shelf deposition.
Definition of calcareous in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia