A plant that grows best in calcareous soil (occurring chiefly on chalk and limestone): [as modifier]: a rich calcicole flora
More example sentences
- A lower proportion of leaf Ptot is present as water-soluble, inorganic phosphate in calcifuges than in calcicoles grown on calcareous soil.
- The Ca concentrations in calcifuge and calcicole plants growing in their natural habitats differ markedly.
- The diverse herbaceous flora included three species of calciphilic sedges, Carex albursina, Carex jamesii and Carex laxiculmis, and a fern Diplazium pycnocarpon, which is also a calcicole.
- Example sentences
- On the opposite side of the island is the richest area for calcicolous bryophytes in the county.
- The range of calcicolous plants includes kidney vetch, crested hair-grass, and wild thyme.
- Extreme limestone locations are dominated by a group of calcicolous grass-like species.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: cal¦ci|cole
Definition of calcicole in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.