A white or colourless mineral consisting of calcium carbonate. It is a major constituent of sedimentary rocks such as limestone and is deposited in caves to form stalactites and stalagmites.
More example sentences
- Quartz is the dominant mineral in veins in siliceous rocks, calcite in limestones, and gypsum in gypsiferous sediments.
- Other than clay minerals, calcite and pyrite are the most common secondary minerals present.
- Matrix minerals of the septaria are ferroan dolomite, quartz, calcite, and pyrite.
- More example sentences
- Concretions, which were originally calcitic, are either weathered out or now contain epidote as a cement.
- Some of the most attractively preserved fossils are the yellow and brown calcitic moulds of ammonites that are characteristic of calcareous concretions.
- The remaining carbonate bioclasts are exclusively calcitic echinoid spines, rare foraminifera, molluscs and bryozoan fragments.
Definition of calcite in:
- The US English dictionary