noun[mass noun] Biochemistry
- A hormone secreted by the thyroid that has the effect of lowering blood calcium.More example sentences
- When parathyroid hormone and calcitonin had both been purified, it was possible to determine that it was parathyroid hormone and not calcitonin that had an anabolic effect on bone in young rats.
- Depending upon the site of transcription, the calcitonin gene yields an RNA that synthesizes calcitonin or calcitonin-gene related peptide.
- To detect potentially deadly recurrences, doctors monitored a known biomarker, a calcium-controlling hormone called calcitonin, in the boy's blood.
More definitions of calcitoninDefinition of calcitonin in:
- The US English dictionary