- A white caustic alkaline solid, commonly produced in the form of quicklime.
More example sentences
- Chemical formula: CaO
- The dissociation of calcium carbonate to calcium oxide and carbon dioxide at 25°C and atmospheric pressure provides an example; raising the temperature or lowering the pressure drives the reaction in the forward direction.
- By melting silica mixed with sodium hydroxide or calcium oxide one is able to interrupt the long chains of silicon-oxygen bonds to form more easily melted glasses.
- Calcium carbide, made by reacting calcium oxide with carbon in the form of coke, is the starting material for the production of acetylene.
More definitions of calcium oxideDefinition of calcium oxide in:
- The US English dictionary