1British A public telephone booth.
- One day I was expecting an important call so I rang my home telephone from a public call box and keyed into my messaging service to see if anyone had phoned.
- John Marshall was on the run from York Police when he telephoned his mother from a public call box in Amsterdam and told her he had nothing to lose.
- It was much easier than going to the call box outside then running back inside the shop to make my purchase.
2North American A telephone for emergency use.
- I was standing on a street and saw a red emergency call box.
- That's where the Safe Tee emergency call box comes into play.
- Further back, toward the cathedral's choir section, four cast-iron emergency call boxes were arranged in front of a 30-foot-long wall of newspaper clippings about police violence.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: call box
Definition of call box in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.