noun[treated as singular or plural]
Gymnastic exercises to achieve bodily fitness and grace of movement: three women swung Indian clubs while performing callisthenics in unison
More example sentences
- Also, squad leaders established routines with weight training and calisthenics.
- The gym offers yoga therapy, aerobics and callisthenics separately for men and women.
- Warm up before the weight-lifting session with stretching exercises, calisthenics, and jogging.
early 19th century: from Greek kallos 'beauty' + sthenos 'strength' + -ics.
- More example sentences
- As I have just noted, most nineteenth-century writers who espoused gymnastics for women approved of calisthenic exercises, several of which are recognizable today.
- While waiting for rescue and to assist in warming yourself, attempt to stretch and do small, controlled callisthenic movements, such as waving your arms or twisting your torso.
- Bouts of moderate intensity on the elliptical machine interspersed with short periods of high-intensity calisthenic exercises, like jumping jacks and push-ups.
Definition of callisthenics in:
- The US English dictionary