Definition of calorie in English:
noun (plural calories)
1Either of two units of heat energy:
- I feel a small fury begin to build, but inside I feel nothing, not a single calorie of heat.
- Only after we've squeezed every wasted kilowatthour or leaking calorie of heat out of our homes and businesses should we focus on generating more power.
- One calorie of heat is equivalent to 4.2 joules of work.
1.2 (also large calorie , abbreviation: Cal) The energy needed to raise the temperature of 1 kilogram of water through 1 °C, equal to one thousand small calories and often used to measure the energy value of foods.
- Donnelly speculates that women may burn fewer calories during their workouts because they are physically smaller than men.
- Physical activity helps control weight by burning excess calories that would otherwise be stored as fat.
- A good way to provide additional protein without adding extra calories is by using a protein powder.
Words that rhyme with caloriegallery, Malory, salary, Valerie
Definition of calorie in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.