- 1A spiked metal device thrown on the ground to impede wheeled vehicles or (formerly) cavalry horses: militant demonstrators threw a box of caltrops across the highwayMore example sentences
- The plot progresses like a horse marching over caltrops, jerking wildly every time its foot encounters the next point.
- It was a combination of towers, palisades, ditches, abatis, and caltrops to slow the attacking Gauls, so that Roman missile engines could more effectively engage them.
- He didn't know what weapon he possessed, if any, beyond the caltrops.
- 2A creeping plant with woody carpels that typically have hard spines and resemble military caltrops.
More example sentences
- Genus Tribulus, family Zygophyllaceae
- Caltrop is quite rare in Cottesloe, as far as I know, and it looks like this infestation may have been introduced during works associated with the path construction, perhaps.
- Caltrop is a perennial herb that can infest a wide variety of crops and pastures.
- Caltrop is an herbaceous annual that commonly grows prostrated on the ground.
- 3 (also water caltrop) another term for water chestnut ( sense 3).
More definitions of caltropDefinition of caltrop in:
- The US English dictionary