Definition of caltrop in English:
1A spiked metal device thrown on the ground to impede wheeled vehicles or (formerly) cavalry horses: militant demonstrators threw a box of caltrops across the highway
More example sentences
- The plot progresses like a horse marching over caltrops, jerking wildly every time its foot encounters the next point.
- It was a combination of towers, palisades, ditches, abatis, and caltrops to slow the attacking Gauls, so that Roman missile engines could more effectively engage them.
- He didn't know what weapon he possessed, if any, beyond the caltrops.
2A creeping plant with woody carpels that typically have hard spines and resemble military caltrops.
- Genus Tribulus, family Zygophyllaceae
- Caltrop is quite rare in Cottesloe, as far as I know, and it looks like this infestation may have been introduced during works associated with the path construction, perhaps.
- Caltrop is a perennial herb that can infest a wide variety of crops and pastures.
- Caltrop is an herbaceous annual that commonly grows prostrated on the ground.
Words that rhyme with caltropsatrap
Definition of caltrop in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Pakistan