- A North American Indian peace pipe.More example sentences
- Before Hiawatha's story begins, we are introduced to the Master of Life and one of his gifts to mortals, the red pipe stone, from which the calumet or peace pipe is made.
- This calumet or ceremonial reed pipe is one of a number of pipes the Boston Museum received from the Peale Museum.
- The calumet was a tobacco pipe, highly revered by the Illinois, which could be used to end disputes, strengthen alliances, and ensure peaceful relationships with strangers.
late 17th century: from French, from late Latin calamellus 'little reed', diminutive of Latin calamus (referring to the pipe's reed stem).
More definitions of calumetDefinition of calumet in:
- The US English dictionary