An evergreen East Asian shrub related to the tea plant, grown for its showy flowers and shiny leaves.
- Genus Camellia, family Theaceae: several species, in particular the common camellia (C. japonica)
More example sentences
- Rhododendrons, most heathers, camellias and many others must have acid soil.
- The pavilions will house plants from temperate regions of the southern hemisphere such as passion flowers, camellias, banksias, tea trees and wattles.
- The garden includes ferns, hydrangeas, irises, waterlilies, camellias, rhododendrons, Japanese maples and fuchsias.
modern Latin, named by Linnaeus after Joseph Kamel (Latinized as Camellus), Moravian botanist (1661–1706), who described the flora of Luzon.
Definition of camellia in:
- The US English dictionary