- 1 [mass noun] The hard red timber of an African tree.More example sentences
- These examples were coated with sacrificial material, especially camwood.
- The main imports from outside Bamenda are camwood; a little tobacco from the French Cameroons and Nigeria; kamwa or rock salt from Nigeria; and Hausa cloth.
- 2Either of two trees of the pea family which yield camwood timber.
More example sentences
- Baphia nitida and (now usually) Pterocarpus soyauxii (the African padouk), family Leguminosae
- Indigo plants are used for deep blue dyes, while reddish brown dyes are extracted from cola nuts, the camwood tree, and the redwood tree.
- Many of Africa's rarest trees, such as mahogany, ironwood, camwood and mimosup, grow in this forest, that is connected to a larger forest area in neighbouring Cameroon.
late 17th century: probably from Temne k'am + wood.