- A tall grass of NW Africa and the Canary Islands, grown for its seeds which are fed to canaries and other caged finches.
More example sentences
- Genus Phalaris, family Gramineae: several species
- Fescue and reed canary grass have proven acceptable.
- During migration, they can be found in dense, moist thickets, and in the winter, they inhabit grassy, weedy, and brushy areas, especially those with exotic reed canary grass, thistle, and blackberries, often near wetlands.
- Mr Read, of New Farm, has planted trial crops of miscantus and canary grass with the aim of one day growing them on a commercial scale.
More definitions of canary grassDefinition of canary grass in:
- The US English dictionary