Definition of canasta in English:
1A card game resembling rummy, using two packs. It is usually played by two pairs of partners, and the aim is to collect sets (or melds) of cards.
- This game, formerly known as Canasta Five, is a variation of canasta played with three 52 card packs plus jokers, which has achieved great success in Australia and New Zealand.
- In samba wild cards are not so important as in canasta.
- At the time, we grandkids thought this was some kind of peculiar old-person habit, like playing canasta and reading Reader's Digest.
1.1 [count noun] A meld of seven cards in canasta.
- You must have at least one example of each type - natural, mixed, wild, sequence and sevens - completed with 7 cards in each, and you may also have additional canastas or smaller melds of any types.
- You cannot go out until your team has completed two red canastas and one canasta of wild cards.
- However, you are only allowed to go out if your team has melded two sambas, or two canastas (pure or mixed ones), or one samba and one canasta.
Words that rhyme with canastaAntofagasta, aster, Astor, Jocasta, oleaster, pasta, piastre (US piaster), pilaster, poetaster, Rasta, Zoroaster
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.