An evergreen tree of the spurge family, with large seeds that yield an oil used for lighting and other purposes, native to SE Asia and the South Pacific islands. Also called candleberry.
- Aleurites moluccana, family Euphorbiaceae
More example sentences
- In a food processor, purée the lemongrass, garlic, turmeric, galangal, ginger, candlenuts, onion, chilies, and blachan.
- The classic Peranakan dish of chicken cooked with tar-black stuffed candlenuts is unbelievably delicious.
- They are recommended as a substitute in Indonesian recipes for candlenuts, which are more difficult to obtain in the West.
Definition of candlenut in:
- The US English dictionary