- 1A beating with a cane as a punishment: the schoolboy received £8000 damages for a caning received nine years agoMore example sentences
- Unfortunately for my master I had never told my father of the canings I'd received for fear of further punishment at home.
- But this early incarnation of the system was little more than sophisticated caning - corporal punishment for boys and girls who were naughty.
- On Thursday Bireuen's district chief Mustafa Geulanggang explained why the authorities had decided to implement caning as a punishment.
- 1.1British • informal A resounding defeat or severe reprimand: the team suffered a caning at BlackburnMore example sentences
- Yorkshire's confidence has taken some bad knocks recently following heavy defeats by Gloucestershire and Northamptonshire in the National League and the Championship caning at the hands of Lancashire.
- I hope Celtic avoid a caning at the hands of AC Milan, and are spared the humiliation of a last-minute winning goal by Gennaro Gattuso, late of Govan G51 2XD.
- Inevitably, that is going to happen from time to time and there is no electoral system which can - or should be able to - stop the electorate giving any party a caning if that is what they want to do.
More definitions of caningDefinition of caning in:
- The US English dictionary