- 1A tall plant with a stiff upright stem, divided serrated leaves, and glandular hairs. It is used to produce hemp fibre and as a psychotropic drug. Also called hemp, marijuana.
More example sentences
- Cannabis sativa, family Cannabaceae (or Cannabidaceae): two subspecies (sometimes considered two species), C. s. sativa, which is chiefly used for hemp, and C. s. indica, from which the drug is usually obtained
- They believe the factory had grown at least one full crop of cannabis plants.
- When officers went to arrest her they found she was growing cannabis plants.
- The plant, cannabis sativa, is native to Asia, but is now widely cultivated in Europe.
- 1.1A dried preparation of the flowering tops or other parts of the cannabis plant, or a resinous extract of it ( cannabis resin), used (generally illegally) as a psychotropic drug, chiefly in cigarettes.More example sentences
marijuana, hashish, bhang, hemp, kef, kif, charas, ganja, sinsemilla• informal dope, hash, grass, pot, blow, draw, stuff, Mary Jane, tea, the weed, gold, green, mezz, skunkweed, skunk, reefer, rope, smoke, gage, boo, charge, jive, mootah, podBritish • informal wacky backyNorth American • informal locoweedSouth African dagga, zol
- They found drugs, including cocaine and cannabis resin, together with drugs equipment.
- Heroin and cannabis resin with an estimated street value of £120,000 was seized by the Garda National Drugs Unit as part of Operation Jumbo.
- Last March, cocaine, ecstasy and cannabis resin were found at Rear Cross on the Tipperary border, and at Hyde Road in Limerick.
from Latin, from Greek kannabis.