Definition of cannabis in English:
1A tall plant with a stiff upright stem, divided serrated leaves, and glandular hairs. It is used to produce hemp fibre and as a psychotropic drug. Also called hemp, marijuana.
- Cannabis sativa, family Cannabaceae (or Cannabidaceae): two subspecies (sometimes considered two species), C. s. sativa, which is chiefly used for hemp, and C. s. indica, from which the drug is usually obtained
- They believe the factory had grown at least one full crop of cannabis plants.
- When officers went to arrest her they found she was growing cannabis plants.
- The plant, cannabis sativa, is native to Asia, but is now widely cultivated in Europe.
1.1A dried preparation of the flowering tops or other parts of the cannabis plant, or a resinous extract of it ( cannabis resin), used (generally illegally) as a psychotropic drug, chiefly in cigarettes.
- They found drugs, including cocaine and cannabis resin, together with drugs equipment.
- Heroin and cannabis resin with an estimated street value of £120,000 was seized by the Garda National Drugs Unit as part of Operation Jumbo.
- Last March, cocaine, ecstasy and cannabis resin were found at Rear Cross on the Tipperary border, and at Hyde Road in Limerick.
informal dope, hash, grass, pot, blow, draw, stuff, Mary Jane, tea, the weed, gold, green, mezz, skunkweed, skunk, reefer, rope, smoke, gage, boo, charge, jive, mootah, pod
British informal wacky backy
North American informal locoweed
South African dagga, zol
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia