- A hard, compact kind of bituminous coal.More example sentences
- The 4,000-year-old necklace, made of disc-beads of cannel coal with a jet fastener, is only 12 inches long and was probably either a child's necklace or a ‘choker’ for an adult woman.
- Some necklaces also used what are usually called ‘shale’ beads; and there is one variety of shale, sapropelite, related to cannel coal, which also takes up static electricity.
- The unique disc-bead necklace, made of cannel coal and jet, was found beside the remains of a child's skeleton in one of three early Bronze Age stone tombs.
mid 16th century (originally a northern English usage): of unknown origin.
More definitions of cannel coalDefinition of cannel coal in:
- The US English dictionary