- Arms containing an allusion to the name of the bearer.More example sentences
- The heron is drawn with a long tuft on its head; it is found in the canting arms of Heron, c.1255.
- Both of these patents of arms may be termed canting arms which means that they contain a pun on the surname.
- In England, smooth-feathered corbies are found in depictions of the canting arms of Corbet throughout our period.
early 17th century: canting from cant1, in the obsolete sense 'speak, say (in a particular way)'.
More definitions of canting armsDefinition of canting arms in:
- The US English dictionary