A North American diving duck with a long, sloping black bill, related to the common pochard.
- Aythya valisineria, family Anatidae
More example sentences
- The ponds also attract black ducks, canvasbacks, American wigeons, lesser and greater scaups, green- and blue-winged teal, cinnamon teal, and herons.
- From time to time, the pond has hosted the locally rare redhead, a member of the group to which scaup, the canvasback and ring-necked duck belong.
- Two ducks common in the winter marsh - the canvasback and greater scaup - are now up in the Yukon and the Seward Peninsula.
late 16th century: so named because of the white back of the male.
Definition of canvasback in:
- The US English dictionary