Definition of capacitate in English:
verb[with object] formal or archaic
1Make (someone) capable of a particular action or legally competent to act in a particular way.
- This is an elegant explanation, one that leads to Mauser's equally elegant peroration: ‘capacitating students to be competent citizens is our birthright.’
- While I applaud the government's social grant initiatives, I think we need to begin to capacitate people in rural areas to produce food, otherwise what government says will be palliatives.
- These writers used to meet regularly to thrash out literature, politics or whatever else was the topic of the day - a preparation that capacitated them to accomplish new heights in writing.
1.1 (be capacitated) Physiology (Of spermatozoa) undergo changes inside the female reproductive tract enabling them to penetrate and fertilize an ovum.
- A preincubated, capacitated sperm suspension was gently added to the freshly ovulated oocytes to give a final motile sperm concentration of 1 x [10.sup.6] / ml.
- During this time the sperm is undergoing a process of maturation called capacitation without which it is incapable of fertilising an ovum. iii) The ovum and capacitated sperm meet in the fallopian tube.
- Cathine also stimulated the production of cAMP (cyclic adenosine monophosphate - a chemical messenger within cells) in uncapacitated sperm whilst inhibiting it in capacitated sperm.
- Example sentences
- The fallopian tubes are also needed for sperm capacitation and egg fertilisation.
- Preparation techniques have been developed that select sperm with fertilising ability and promote capacitation in the test tube.
- After sperm have been deposited in the mammalian female reproductive tract, they undergo a process known as capacitation which facilitates fertilization by removing certain inhibitory factors.
Definition of capacitate in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India