A small fish of the North Atlantic, resembling a smelt. It is abundant in coastal waters and provides a staple food for humans and many animals.
- Mallotus villosus, family Osmeridae
More example sentences
- For instance, WWF Norway says it is concerned about the impact of the crab - which has no natural enemies in Arctic waters - on the capelin, a fish considered central to the Barents Sea food chain.
- Larger salmon eat a variety of fishes such as herring and alewives, smelts, capelin, small mackerel, sand lace, and small cod.
- Like the capelin, these fish aggregate close to shore, then a female and associated males ride a wave to very shallow water, where they spawn on a fine gravel beach.
Definition of capelin in:
- The US English dictionary