Definition of capstan in English:
1A broad revolving cylinder with a vertical axis used for winding a rope or cable, powered by a motor or pushed round by levers.
- Helping were a number of Adsteam tugs and a team of ADI dockworkers who, with stout ropes and capstans finally secured the giant ship.
- The space round the anchor capstans is interesting; it looks as if it was designed for a gang of sailors to work the capstan by hand if the powered mechanism should fail.
- The pirates instantly began winching the cable in with a capstan.
1.1The motor-driven spindle on a tape recorder that makes the tape travel past the head at constant speed.
- Any rolling part can do it, but the major flutter-maker in your tape recorder is likely to be the capstan.
- But as the tape winds on over the capstans, fragments are lost or dulled, and the music becomes a ghost of itself, tiny gasps of full-bodied chords groaning to life amid pits of near-silence.
- Helical Scan media, on the other hand, is pulled out of the cartridge shell, then led through a complicated system of guides and capstan rollers before being wrapped around a rotating head.
Words that rhyme with capstanAshton • phytoplankton
Definition of capstan in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan