- 1(Of sugar or syrup) be converted into caramel: continue cooking until the mixture caramelizesMore example sentences
- Remove the casserole lid, sprinkle very lightly with soft, dark Muscovado sugar and grill under a gentle heat until the sugar caramelizes.
- Divide the custard among the ramekins and sprinkle with sugar, then place them onto a baking sheet and grill until the sugar caramelises.
- Bake until the sugar caramelizes, about ten minutes.
- 1.1 [with object] (usually as adjective caramelized) Cook (food) with sugar so that it becomes coated with caramel: tagliatelle with caramelized onionsMore example sentences
- A lightly caramelized crust coats each sweet potato dumpling, giving just a slight crunch as you bite into each.
- This was absolutely first rate, with a substantial portion of sweetly caramelized cheese on freshly cooked strips of red pepper, courgette and aubergine.
- Not that the cuisine is generally to be forgotten; last night I had a crepe with pate of foie gras and caramelized apples that I'll remember for quite some time.
- More example sentences
- Also tried another tarte tatin, but it needed a little more caramelisation.
- The pears had been barely cooked and they perched on a puff pastry tarte with no caramelisation in sight.
- Is there anything more fabulous than something created through the wonder and miracle of caramelization?
More definitions of caramelizeDefinition of caramelize in:
- The US English dictionary