noun[mass noun] Biochemistry
- An enzyme that catalyses the interconversion of dissolved bicarbonates and carbon dioxide.More example sentences
- Without the enzyme carbonic anhydrase the dehydration and hydration of carbon dioxide is a rather slow reaction.
- Cellular carbonic anhydrase then catalyzes the reverse of reaction 17, leading to release of CO 2 from erythrocytes.
- Two intracellular enzymes that may support active ion transport across crustacean gills are carbonic anhydrase and arginine kinase.
More definitions of carbonic anhydraseDefinition of carbonic anhydrase in:
- The US English dictionary